8:30-10:30 ET Professionalism – An Interactive Activity (Ethics)
Virjinya Torrez (Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma), Assistant Attorney General, Pascua Yaqui Tribe
TJ McReynolds (Pueblo de San Ildefonso), Senior Counsel, Kewenvoyouma Law, PLLC
Harrison W. Rice (Sac & Fox Nation of Oklahoma), Assistant Attorney General, Tohono O’odham Nation
The Objective of this presentation is for attorneys to better understand how both the Oath of Admission to the Bar and the Lawyer’s Creed of Professionalism overlap and extend beyond the values and requirements of a respective State’s Rules of Professional Conduct.
1. Maintaining objectivity for effective assessment of the impact actions have on clients, others and the legal system.
2. Competent client representation includes maintaining reasonable expectations through candid and objective advice, clear communication to clients.
3. Acting with courtesy and civility.
4. Advancing legitimate client interests can be accomplished through expeditious and cost-effective handling of all legal matters while maintaining respect, courtesy, and fairness.
5. To act and speak honestly and respectfully in both personal and professional life, honoring the court and legal system, diligently advocating for clients, and protecting the integrity of the legal profession.